Application Information for the Minority Fellowship Program
Things to Note
- Applications will open: December 1, 2022
- Application Deadline: February 18, 2023
- The AAMFT/SAMHSA Minority Fellowship Program is now open to ALL graduate students in marriage and family therapist doctoral programs. This webpage is the official application webpage for the AAMFT/MFP Doctoral Fellowship
- Take a moment to read the application information thoroughly
- All applicants will be notified via email, no phone inquiries please
- All applicants must be AAMFT members with an active AAMFT member login and password. Applicants must log in before navigating to the application page.
- Only one application per applicant will be accepted for the MFP
- Only complete applications will be considered
- All required recommendation information must be provided by the deadline
- Do not mail in hardcopies of your application or documents attached to your application, they will not be accepted
- Do not email in copies of your application or documents attached to your application, they will not be accepted
- Unofficial transcripts and other supplemental documentation are required to complete this application
- You will have the option to save your application and continue it at a later time via an access link sent to the email address you provided. Once you have started the application, you can find the “save and continue” option located at the top of the application page
- Review the information below and follow the "Apply Now" link to launch the MFP online application
- Application opens December 1, 2022
- Application deadline February 18, 2023
MFP Application Webinar Dates:
DOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP (DF) APPLICATION FORM OUTLINE
“The MFP defines a training program as having an MFT identity if the
program is clearly identifiable as training MFTs who have a
relationally/systemic philosophy that is multiculturally- informed, and
ethically competent, and the program’s mission, goals, outcomes, and
curriculum substantially reflect the Professional Marriage and Family Therapy Principles (PMFTPs).”
- Provide all the requested demographic and contact information in this section. It is important that you provide accurate contact information as it will be used as a means to contact you regarding your application.
- Select an appropriate US Residency Status (US Citizen or Permanent Resident)
- Select an appropriate Ethnicity/Race category and answer all questions related to race, ethnicity, language, and disability. These questions will not be used in the application review process as a basis for selection.
Indicate the MFP Fellowship to which you are applying:
- Doctoral Fellowship (DF)- For applicants who meet eligibility requirements for this Fellowship
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship (DCF)- For applicants who meet eligibility requirements for this Fellowship
- Doctoral Fellowship Renewal (DF-R)- For current DF awardees only, who would like to reapply for another DF award
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship Renewal (DCF-R)- For current DCF awardees only, who would like to reapply for another DCF award
- Choose whether or not to send recommenders the required form initially or later in the MFP application.
- Required recommender information includes their name and primary email address. Ensure that selected recommenders are the people most familiar with your academic accomplishments and/or experiences that demonstrate your ability and interest in pursuing a doctorate in a regionally accredited marriage and family therapy program. If you are in a doctoral program, one of your letters will need to come from your advisor. Your recommenders will be provided the AAMFT MFP Recommendation Form via the email address provided in this section.
- Individuals providing recommendation letters are asked to fill out all required sections in the AAMFT MFP Recommendation Form, including an uploaded letter and updated CV/resume. (A cautionary note: Missing recommendation letters account for most incomplete MFP applications! Start early working diligently with your recommenders to get them in on time).
- Please notify your recommenders that the AAMFT MFP Recommendation Form must be submitted before the application deadline to be considered. Additionally, this application form must contain their recommendation letter and updated CV/Resume. Failure to complete the application specifically as requested and submit materials specifically as requested will result in your application NOT being reviewed.
Number of recommendations required by application type:
- All Doctoral Fellowship Applications (DF) = 3 Recommendations
- All Dissertation Completion Fellowship (DCF) Applications = 3 Recommendations
- All Doctoral Fellowship Renewal Applications (DFR) = 1 Recommendation
- All Dissertation Completion Renewal Applications (DCF) = 1 Recommendation
- Select your current program type
- Provide your undergraduate, masters and PhD program information including the dates attended and Degree Type you attended for at least a full academic year within the last 10 years. You must include your current institution. If you are currently enrolled in an institution listed, the “date attended to” field should reflect the expected date of your graduation/matriculation. Date format: mm/dd/yyyy
Masters Program Information
- Provide the required information on your masters program (University name, Department, City, State, etc)
- Be sure to outline your year in your program at the time of this application.
- Indicate your Masters Degree Type. If "Other" is selected please explain in the space provided.
- If not currently enrolled in a doctoral program, indicate if you have applied or intend to apply for admission to a doctoral program.
Doctoral Program Information
- Provide the required information on your doctoral program (University name, Department, City, State, etc)
- Be sure to outline your year in your program at the time of this application.
- Indicate your Doctoral Degree Type. If "Other" is selected please explain in the space provided.
- Outline when you expect to complete the program’s Core Curriculum, begin work on your dissertation, earn your Doctoral Degree, and whether you plan to continue studying at your current academic institution. If you do not plan to continue studying at the university you indicated then please provide the name of the academic institution where you plan to continue your MFT studies.
DF Renewal Essay (for DF-R Applicants only)
- Provide a Statement of Intent containing goals for continuation in the AAMFT Minority Fellowship Program, and a plan of study for the next year (list courses you plan to take the next year). Your statement should outline how you believe continuing in the MFP would contribute to your academic training (link to you plan of study), research interests, and career goals around issues of substance abuse and cultural competency with minority/underserved populations.
- Be sure to reference SAMHSA's strategic initiatives when providing your response (***Limited to 4500 words Including spaces).
DF Essays (for DCF and DF applicants only)
- This is the most important part of your application. You will need to write two brief essays. Essay #1 should focus on your specific training interests and career goals. Essay #2 should focus on your choice of university, training program, and advisor/mentor, and how your choice relates to minority mental health or your specific training interests and career goals.
- Essay I - The major goals of the MFP are to increase the availability of culturally competent mental health and substance abuse services provided to minorities and underserved populations and to increase the general knowledge of issues related to minority/ underserved population mental health and substance abuse treatment or prevention. Describe how your training, research interests, and career goals will contribute to these objectives. This is your opportunity to introduce yourself and your area of interest and describe how you will contribute to the mental health well-being of ethnic minorities. In your essay, you should discuss your current interests in marriage and family therapy and/or other areas of mental health and detail your related experiences and training to date. You do not have to be an expert in your particular area of interest, but you should certainly impart some sense of enthusiasm or commitment to that area, as well as an understanding of basic issues.
- Essay II - Please write an essay which describes why you selected the program you are now attending, or to which you are applying. You also should provide a rationale for your choice of advisor or mentor at your institution. Identify specific faculty, resources, and training available to you which will provide you with training relevant to minority mental health and substance abuse prevention or treatment and research, or the specific training interests and career goals you described in your "training interests and career goals" essay. Your essay should make a convincing argument that you will receive training related to minority mental health treatment and that your advisor (or the faculty you would like to work with) has the resources and expertise to guide you in this area.
- Be sure to reference SAMHSA's strategic initiatives when providing your responses (***Limited to 4500 words for each essay including spaces).
Research/Services Areas of Interest
- Identify general area of research/service interest (up to eight) from the list provided.
- Identify populations you have you either a) work with on a regular basis in a clinical setting or b) include as a focus in your research (past, current or future research).
Provide a copy of your curriculum vita/resume
Attach copies of your unofficial transcripts for all academic programs indicated in this application-
- A curriculum vita/resume is a short account of one’s qualifications, training, career experiences, publications, professional presentations, etc. You may upload up to two documents for this question with a file size maximum of 2MB each.
Graduate Exam Scores
- Upload unofficial transcripts for any college/university you attended for at least a full academic year within the last 10 years. You are only required to upload unofficial transcripts for application purposes. Official transcripts are only required if you have been selected to be a Fellow. You may upload up to ten documents for this question with a file size maximum of 2MB each.
- Upload photocopies of your GRE scores to the MFP application. You may upload two documents for this question with a file size maximum of 2MB.
- While GRE scores are not used to select fellows, they help us evaluate the effectiveness of our selection criteria, and the relevance of these scores to successful graduate school completion. Note that the GRE is not required for this Fellowship.
Previous Fellow Information
- If you were granted an AAMFT MFP-Doctoral Fellowship Award in the past, provide the required dates of your award(s).
Honors and Awards
- Provide the required information on any publications, honors and awards, clubs, associations, paid or volunteer experiences and conference presentations. All responses to this section should be in APA style.
- The MFP requires that recipients verify their willingness to receive supplemental training in substance abuse treatment, prevention, cultural competence and mental health treatment, and quantitative research and mixed methodology skills. In addition, all Fellowship recipients must verify that they are available to attend the MFP orientation, AAMFT Annual Conference and other mandatory trainings provided during the Fellowship year.
- For more information please visit the MFP homepage and the AAMFT Website.
Application Submission Review
- You will be provided with a recap of all the important contact information you provided in your application.
- On this page you will be given a chance to return to the first page of the application and make edits to your application.